For many decades this park and mound was simply known as the 4th Street Park. In 1979 the Ogden City Council renamed it the Romrell Park in honor of the pioneer family that historically farmed the land around Clark’s Hill (the mound) and built the house next to the park at 253 4th Street. The Romrell Park connects to the 4th Street Ball Park, and the west side of Clark’s Hill holds the bleachers. This is a popular park for sports, bikes in the summer and sledding in the winter.
HISTORY OF THE ROMRELL FAMILY
Francis Romeril and his wife Mary immigrated from the Isle of Jersey in the English Channel and arrived in Bingham’s Fort in 1855. Francis took up residence in the fort and established a farm on West 2nd Street that he later shared with his son-in-law, George Pierce. For more details about Francis Romeril, his daughter Jane and her husband, see 142 W. 2nd St.
Francis’ son George Romrell and wife Patience arrived in November 1861. George and Patience built a dug out home for their first winter in Utah Territory. Subsequently George Romrell purchased much of the land from 4th St. and Washington Blvd. to Clark’s Hill. In the following years he built four homes on this land and planted a large orchard. George was a carpenter, a horticulturist and a furniture turner. See 253 4th Street for more details of George Romrell.