Lawrence Sherner was born in Lynne Ward, Ogden City, Weber County, Utah, in 1873 to Peter and Mary Elizabeth Huchens Sherner. He attended school at the Lynne Schoolhouse, and spent his childhood days in the company of his relatives, who were Mormon pioneers. He epitomized the transitional generation that was raised on a farm by pioneer parents and grandparents and then led the way into the first half of the twentieth century.
By the time Lawrence was 21 years old, Five Points had three stores selling merchandise, one drug store, two shoe stores, two tailoring establishments, three blacksmith shops, one butcher shop, one skating rink, several or three saloons and a number of real estate offices, doctors, lawyers, etc. There were also electric street cars passing each way every few minutes.
Lawrence completed this red brick house prior to his marriage to Rozina Shaw in June 1901. It was located on family acreage next to the north branch of the Lower Lynne Ditch and a block-and -a-half west of the junction at Five Points. The ditch was a great advantage for irrigation and proximity to “The Points” meant walking distance for shopping and business.
This former red brick house is a one and a half story side-passage house with an entrance passage inserted on one side of the main floor. Upon entering the front door there was an entrance hall with a staircase to the upper two bedrooms. The main level had two rooms, a parlor and a kitchen. The side porch was enclosed and additional rooms were added to the rear as the family grew to include eight children.
In 1914 a new meetinghouse was erected on the triangle at Five Points at the cost of $20,000 under the supervision of Bishop Carl Turnquist. Five Points was the busy hub of the agricultural Lynne Community. Apostle Reed Smoot dedicated the building in 1915 and noted in his prayer that hundreds of chapels were being built yearly, and the people were “better housed and better taken care of in their worshiping assemblies than they ever have been in the past” [in the past school houses were used for meetinghouses]. He prayed that they would be blessed “in their basket and in their store and in their faith”. In 1916 Lawrence Sherner was called to be bishop, and he served from 1916 to 1926 as the 4th bishop of the Lynne Ward with counselors Lawrence Malan and Austin Shaw and Henry Moore as ward clerk. 
During Bishop Sherner’s first years his ward members were coping with the sorrows of death and deformity from World War l. Those who returned after the armistice in 1918 faced a lack of work – Utah’s agrarian economy did not support many jobs- and broken spirits. About this time the influenza epidemic enveloped the world, and Ogden did not escape either. Nearly every family lost a family member to its scourge; penicillin had not yet been discovered. Then in the waning days of World War l, prohibition was a political issue and there was a growing awareness of the erratic stock market.
The men in the bishopric were devoted servants to the community during these difficult times, and the new meetinghouse at Five Points was a real bright spot for the LDS community. It was a spacious building, well designed, located on the triangle surrounded by a park. This was where ward meetings were held and social events and where the bishopric conducted interviews. Everyone was proud of the chapel.
Lawrence Sherner was also a farmer and manager of the Scoville Paper Company (later called the Ogden Paper Company). He preferred to think of himself as a farmer. In 1896 he planted 35,000 strawberry plants by hand on the Sherner Farm.
The house on 2nd Street is still owned by the Sherner family in 2014.
 Colleen Blankenship, Lawrence William Sherner, manuscript, 2004, p.1.
Andrew Jensen, History of the Lynne Ward, Microfilm LR#6405 2, p. 1, 12.
 Thomas Carter and Peter Goss, Utah’s Historic Architecture, 1847-1940, Utah State Historical Society, 1988, p. 28.
 Colleen Blankenship, Lawrence William Sherner, p.3.
 Ibid, p. 4.
 Ibid; Andrew Jensen, History of the Ogden 15th Ward.
 Andrew Jensen, History of the Ogden 15th Ward, year 1923.
 Framed picture of 11 members of Building Committee with dedication date inscribed.
 Letter Colleen Blankenship, 27 Feb. 2014.