John Wheeler and Sarah Stone were both born in England in 1834 and 1846 respectively, met in the Bingham Fort District and married in Plain City, Utah, in 1864.
John and Sarah had a farm in Slaterville located on 2250 West next to Mill Creek; an old channel of Mill Creek surrounded the farm by water thereby giving the farm its name, “The Island”.
The Wheelers had nine children. In 1886 when their youngest child was three years old, Sarah had a terrific shock when her husband died. He had acquired the disease of Black Erysipelas while shearing sheep. The rash started on the bridge of his nose and spread very rapidly to his brain. In less than three hours he died in her arms.
Sarah worked night and day to pay the debts, save her farm and build the brick home above. In 1888 she was appointed post-mistress of the fourth class post office of the community of Slaterville. She held this position until the daily rural delivery mail route system began direct from the Ogden City Post Office.
In her later years she sold her home and farm to her son Moroni Wheeler and moved to smaller home at 615 7th Street in Ogden, living with her daughter Lottie and next door to her daughter Flora W. Stokes. She died in 1916 at age 74.