History of 2nd Street, Ogden, Utah

Stories of Bingham's Fort, Lynne, Five Points

Archive for the ‘q. Bingham/Stone Farm’ Category

q. Bingham/Stone FARM 1851

Posted by weberhistory on January 5, 2009

Monument to 1853 Bingham’s Fort is located in a pasture of the Bingham/Stone Farm on West 2nd Street; the farm is the beginning of the settlement of Five Points and is on the National Register of Historic Places; photo 2010.

view of east mountains

Looking east over fields of Bingham/Stone Farm.  This type of farm use to be the rule in the area; now it is the exception; photo 2010.

TWO MAPS OF BINGHAM/STONE FARM:

YESTERDAY: 1851 Bingham farm in block 1W4N of the Lemon Survey, extending from 2nd St. to 7th St.; the farm was the first permanent home of Five Points.

***CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE***

TODAY: Bingham/Stone Farm is 40 acres surrounded by development, still extending from 2nd St. to 7th St. as surveyed in 1850 Lemon Survey, 163 years of farming.

 WHICH CAME FIRST, BINGHAM FARM OR BINGHAM FORT?

The farm came first in 1851. Next to Fort Buenaventura, the farm is the oldest site in Weber County. The Binghams were the first permanent family to the settlement that grew to become Five Points.[1]

The Bingham family settled on 2nd Street in the spring of 1851; Bishop Erastus Bingham and Erastus Bingham Jr. filed claim for six 20-acre farms laid out on the Lemon Survey on the south side of 2nd Street, and Sanford Bingham filed one 20-acre claim on the north side. Erastus was 53 years old.  His other sons, Thomas, Willard, Edwin, and Brigham Bingham and a son-in-law, Isaac Newton Goodale, all farmed here for different lengths of time.

Bingham cabin stood at 317 W. 2nd St. until c. 1955; it is now honored at Pioneer Village museum, Lagoon, Farmington, Ut.

 In 1853 there was an uneasy feeling between the settlers and the Indians, and  Brigham Young asked Weber settlement to “fort up” for safety.  Bingham’s Fort straddled West 2nd Street, and the irrigation ditches ran on both the north and south sides of the fort.  In time 2nd Street was  named Bingham Fort Lane.

In 1854 Erastus and his wife Lucinda Gates took up a house in Ogden but retained partial ownership of a ninety-acre farm on 2nd Street.  Erastus Bingham served in civic and religious positions until 1868 when he was released at age 70 on account of his health.  In the 1870 census he lived on the farm with his third wife Emma Warner and was the sole owner of the farm.  In the 1880 census he lived on the farm with his second wife Mehitable Hall.  Erastus died May 2, 1882, in his cabin.[2]  For more details, see b. Bingham Way and Erastus Drive and i. 317 W. 2nd St., rear granary.

STONE FARM ENLARGED IN 1913

In 1872 James Stone purchased about 20 acres from Sam Gates and built a cabin by the pond for his bride, Mary Melling.  In time the pond came to be known as Stone’s Pond (see map below).  In about 1878 James purchased the adobe house at today’s 386 W. 2nd St. and moved his family from the cabin to the adobe house that fronted the Stone farm.  Their new house on 2nd Street was about 400 feet west of the Sam Gates cabin and the Bingham cabin (which was on the other side of the road). By this time Sam Gates and Erastus Bingham were quite elderly.  James Stone was the same age as Sam’s son George Gates, his close friend.

Mary Melling Stone at 386 W. 2nd St.; photo c. 1913.

Mary Melling Stone at 386 W. 2nd St.; photo c. 1913.

In 1885, four years after the death of Bishop Erastus Bingham, his heirs sold the farm to investor Patrick Shea of Eureka, Utah.  Mr. Shea and his heirs rented out the farm and cabin for the next 27 years, mostly to the Andrew Mills family.

James and Mary Melling Stone’s sons, John and Chauncey, born 1875 and 1880, became partners in about 1900 and expanded the James Stone Farm by purchasing the 90-acre Bingham farm from the Shea family in 1913.  After this purchase Stone Farm took up both the north and south sides of 2nd Street in about the west 300 block and thereabouts (see map below).  During the twentieth century, those living in the Five Points area knew lower West 2nd Street as Stone’s Farm.

1919 map showing Stone's Pond in upper left corner.

1919 map showing Stone’s farm in the upper left corner of map on N. side of 2nd and Bingham/Stone farm on S. side of 2nd St.

John and Jessie Stone lived in old Stone family home at 386 W. 2nd; part cabin and part adobe; photo c. 1925.

John and Jessie Mills Stone lived in old Stone family home at 386 W. 2nd on the N. side of the road; photo c. 1925.

Mary Melling Stone with son John Stone; photo c. 1940.

Mary Melling Stone with son John Stone; photo c. 1940.

Chauncey and Edna Kent Stone lived in the Bingham/Stone cabin from 1910 to 1925 on the S. side of the road; photo 1911.

 

Left: “Our first car”. Right: Chauncey plowing, circa 1917.

Chauncey with sons Harvey and Warren; Bingham/Stone granary in rear; photo c. 1918.

The Stone brothers were taught agriculture by their father and uncles, and they continued in this vocation all of their lives.  At its peak, Stone Farm was 190 acres and the Stone brothers were mainstream Utah farmers at a time when agriculture was a major contribution to the economics of Weber County.   Diversified farming was typical throughout the state and helped to stabilize income.  Cash crops on Stone farm were milk and dairy products, sugar beets, garden crops, and wheat. Lucerne was grown to feed their animals.

The old Bingham cabin remained part of Stone farm; cabin in center and granary on left; garage in front of granary built by Earl Salt; barn on rt. built by Thomas Mills. Various Stone family members lived in this cabin for about 60 years; photo Edna Kent Stone,  1929.

“Our new house” – the Chauncey Stone family moved from the old Bingham cabin  300 feet east to this new modern house built by Chauncey, completed in December 1925.

L to R: Chauncey Stone, cousin Charlie Parsons, Wilford Stone and his father, John Stone; c. 1913.

L to R: Edna Kent Stone – wife of Chauncey, a cousin, Jessie Mills Stone with baby – wife of John, and Effie Kent on the right; c. 1913.

Hay barn and blacksmith shop (center) on Stone Farm, hay derrick (center), Bingham granary (rear); photo Tug Anderson c. 1930.

***CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE***

Loading hay; photo c. 1930.

Tug Anderson and Harvey Stone; photo c. 1930.

Chauncey Stone & Mig; photo c. 1935.

Edna Stone; photo c. 1935.

Warren Stone plowing in the spring; photo c. 1935.

Milking; photo c. 1935.

Farm bull; photo c. 1938.

Farm pigs; photo c. 1938.

Harvey Stone in wheat; photo c. 1943.

Wheat field; photo Klea Stone c. 1945.

David Montgomery, grandson of John Stone; photo 1965.

Don Budge thrashing wheat; photo c. 1970.

Mike Keogh, Warren’s son-in-law, pulling level; photo c. 1985.

Warren Stone planting the wheat; photo c. 1985.

Joy Ward thrashing the wheat; photo 1996.

Loading the hay; photo 2000.

Jay Montgomery family, Michael Keogh family, David Collins family; photo courtesy Dave Montgomery, 2000.

***CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE***

GBAM 2002.

GBAM 2002

GBAM 2002

Great Basin Antique Machinery harvesting wheat in 1900 vintage style, 2002

Jay Montgomery baling hay; June 2008.

Baling hay; June 2008.

Pumpkin Patch; photo 2009.

Pumpkin Patch; photo 2009.

 

 

Fresh eggs.

Free run chickens.

Hereford grass fed cows;1911 Mills barn.

 

Baby calf, “Brock”; photo 2001.

Chauncey Stone 1920s dairy barn and milk house; photo 2004.

Thrashing triticale; photo 2009.

Baling triticale; photo 2009.

View across Bingham/Stone farm from 7th Street; photo 2010.

Dennis Illum, farmer and descendant of Erastus Bingham Sr.

Gathering the hay bales; photo 2010.

S branch of lower Lynne Ditch running through the Bingham/Stone farm; photo 2015.

S. branch of lower Lynne Ditch running through the Bingham/Stone farm; photo 2015.

Ligori’s meadow; photo 2011.

ARTIFACTS AND ARROWHEADS

China artifacts are still found in the Lynne Ditch.  In the 1850s the pioneers threw broken china in the ditch to help keep the silt down.  English refined ceramics of the 1850s were highly decorative and usually consisted of plates and tea sets.  Unrefined ceramics, or “crockery”, were usually American made.  The custom of throwing china in the ditch continued for at least fifty years. China and artifacts are also found in the fields.

Over the early years of plowing Stone Farm by hand and with horses, a shoebox was filled with arrowheads.  In the later half of the twentieth century a sharp eye could even spot arrowheads from the tractor.

Sample of arrowheads found in the fields of the Bingham/Sone Farm.

In 2004 the Bingham/Stone Farm was accepted on the National Register of Historic Places and placed in a conservation easement  with the State of Utah.


[1]Charles F. Trentelman, Road Construction Unearths Old Fort, Standard Examiner, 2002.

[2] Norman F. Bingham, Lillian B. Belnap and Lester S. Scoville, Sketch of the Life of Erastus Bingham and Family, Utah Pioneers of 1847, circa 1952, p. 11-14; Lemon Survey; U.S. Federal Census 1870, 1880.

Posted in 3. 2nd St. PIONEER HOUSES & LEMON SURVEY, q. Bingham/Stone Farm | Leave a Comment »