HISTORY OF THE TITHING HOUSE
THE WALLS DO TALK: Carved on the inside walls of the Bishop’s tithing house are records such as these written in the 1880s:
June 1st 1885 Wheat six 6 bushels and 15 lbs.
June 22 fourteen 14 bushels and 55 lbs.
15 Bnesel Wheat 1885
Sacks in 10 bus and 8 lb
Mary (Stone now a widow)
100 plus 8
140 = 10 8
William Hutchens was a counselor from 1876 to 1884 to Bishop Daniel F. Thomas. This tithing house was located on Hutchens’ property, suggesting that it was his responsibility to care for the tithing commodities. 
In 2006 a storage building was built next to the old tithing house at 196 2nd Street, and new exterior walls and roof were built around the old walls and the roof of the tithing house as pictured below. The tithing house is not visible from 2nd Street; it is located to the rear of the property and can only be viewed by the public in these photos.
OTHER HISTORIC TITHING HOUSES ON 2ND STREET
The first tithing house on 2nd Street was built in c. 1853 at today’s address of 301 W. 2nd Street next to the cabin of Bishop Bingham. When the house at 301 W. 2nd St. was under construction in 1923, Chauncey Stone uncovered the rock foundation and some adobe bricks of the fort tithing house. These artifacts and their location were identified by Mr. Bingham of Riverdale as the tithing house of the old fort. The old rocks were re-used in the construction of the foundation of this house.
 Abstract of property in possession of Theron and Thora Hill.
 Notes of Edna K. Stone.