HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
The original burnt brick house was classified as a half-cross wing as pictured in the c. 1940 photo with the entrances on the long side. The bricks were made at the Gates Adobe-Brick Mill located near Stone’s Pond by James Gardner. The house was built in the late 1870s and was considered a “starter” plan. Builders of this type planned to construct a perpendicular wing in the future as time and money allowed. This type of house became popular in Utah in the mid 1870s peaking in the 1890s.
When James Gardner built the house in the 1870s no one anticipated that the rear addition would not be added on for 100 years. In 1944 the George Stokes family purchased the house, and in the 1970s George’s grandson, David Collins, built the long awaited rear addition changing the classification from a half-cross wing to a cross wing house. The floor plan resembles an “L”, but the second roof line is not perpendicular. In this modification of the old plan, both roof lines are parallel instead of perpendicular.
HISTORY OF JAMES GARDNER FAMILY
James Harvey Gardner was born in Seneca County New York in 1830 and arrived in Weber County in the fall of 1852. In November 1852 he married Mary Gates, daughter of Sam Gates; he was 22 and she was 20. They built a log cabin next to Sam Gates’ cabin on 2nd Street; both cabins are identified on the Bingham Fort map.
When James Gardner was 40 years old he assisted his father-in-law with the Gates Adobe Mill. Dissatisfied with the durability of adobes, James devised a kiln to fire the sun baked adobes into a more reliable brick called a burnt brick; hence the adobe mill expanded to include a brickyard. Today’s location of the James Gardner kiln is on the south side of North Street opposite today’s house located at 370 West North Street; this location was close to Stone Pond and the “2nd Street Swamps”. Gordon Jones, author of Pioneer Forts in Ogden, Utah, visited this site in 2001 and remarked that the best bricks of the nineteenth century were made from mud beneath bulrushes on swampy land. 
James and Mary had ten children, one of them named Sam Gates Gardner after his grandfather. In the 1870s James Gardner built his own house with burnt bricks at 156 2nd Street. The house has two doors on the long side. Mary used the south door, the one closest to 2nd Street, as an entrance to her little store that she kept in their home. By this time Mary was in her forties, but she held the respect of the young men of Lynne Community, and her store became “a gathering place for the boys in the evenings” and was often open till midnight. During those evenings, whenever a question arose concerning religion, Mary was regarded as the “Bureau of Information”.
Lynne Ward records show that James and Mary Gates Gardner were sealed in the temple in 1873 and that James was president of the deacons in 1885. In 1889 they sold their house to neighbor Ianthus Richards and moved to Pocatello, Idaho, to be near their children.
In 2013 the house has been owned by the Stokes/Collins family for 69 years.
 Cory Jensen, Historic Architecture in Utah: The Cross Wing, Utah Historical Quarterly, Spring 2001.
 William Terry, Weber County History Is Worth Knowing, abt.1988, p.120-122.
 Interview Chauncey Stone, 1972; interview Clara Stone, December 1999. NOTE: In the years that followed the closing of the Gates Adobe-Brick Mill, another brickyard began a few miles to the north in Harrisville; this business continued to harvest marsh mud from the wetlands on 2nd Street for many years; Interpace Brick is now located at this site, 736 W. Harrisville Road.
 Mary Melling Stone Crane, autobiography, manuscript, 1922, p. 8.
 Some old timers will remember the brick house of Ianthus Richards built west of Jim Gardner’s at 142 2nd Street.