Lynne School Lane and local school history
Posted by weberhistory on October 5, 2010
The 2002 Aspen Acres Subdivision is located on Lynne School Lane which exits north from 2nd Street exactly 1/2 mile west of Washington Blvd. at Five Points. This subdivision includes the former 20-acre pioneer farm of William and Mary Cruse Stone that was valued at $200 in the 1860 census. In 1887 Ed Stone sold the farm to Victor Reno Senior, and it remained in the Reno family until 2001.
Three historic schools have been located on the northeast corner of 2nd Street and Lynne School Lane: the 1853 log Bingham School, the 1866 adobe Lynne School, and the 1877 brick Lynne School.
Why were the schools built at this particular location? This location was the center point on 2nd Street of block 1 West 4 North (1W4N) as pictured on the map of the Lemon Survey below, and is located exactly 1/2 mile from Washington Blvd.
1853 (corner of Lynne School Lane and 2nd St.) – Isaac Newton Goodale built the log Bingham School with some help from Henry Gibson one-half mile from Washington Blvd. From the end of October to the end of December Goodale recorded efforts to get logs for the schoolhouse, trips to the sawmill, and the making of a door, frames and trusses. He even worked on the schoolhouse Christmas day and all the rest of the week to complete the new log school on December 31, 1853, just in time for a New Year’s dance celebration. The school was known as Bingham School.
“Subscriptions” or tuition payments were expected for each pupil. A subscription school provided a way for the pioneers to educate their children, since there were no public monies available to provide for education in the 1850s. But collecting the payment was difficult for Newt Goodale since money was scarce. Subscriptions could be payed in farm goods or any item agreed upon for barter.
1863 (corner of Mill Creek Lane and 2nd St.) – The log Mill Creek School was built one mile west of Washington Blvd. at the end of block 1W3N in about 1863; this location was again determined by the Lemon Survey. It was larger than the Bingham School and had a large stone fireplace on one wall. Amanda Bingham was one of the teachers at the Mill Creek School (see home page history, 1863 for two stories that happened at the Mill Creek School House).
c. 1866 (corner of Lynne School Lane and 2nd St.) In 1866, when it was known that the train tracks would soon replace Mill Creek Lane, the community built their third school back on the corner of today’s Lynne School Lane and 2nd St. The third school was an adobe structure built by taxation and named Lynne School after the name of the precinct and the post office. This was the first of three schools to be named Lynne.
The school had one big room that was plastered and whitewashed, and it had a shingled roof. It didn’t have a fireplace but was heated with a tall iron stove. Nancy Jane Gates taught at this school in 1868 (see home page history, 1868). Henry Tracy and Peter Sherner were also teachers at this school.[1a]
1877 (corner of Lynne School Lane and 2nd St.) In 1877 the fourth school was built immediately west of the adobe Lynne School. Frederick A. Miller, William B. Hutchens and Rasmus Erastus Christofferson were in charge of the construction of this brick school which was also called Lynne School. It was 24 x 40 feet and was erected at a cost of about $2,300, furniture $300, total $2,600. Apostle F. D. Richards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints dedicated the school on December 9, 1877. When this school was completed, the adobe school was torn down (see home page history, 1877). Laura Rogers served as a teacher at the brick Lynne School before her marriage to Stephen W. Perry in 1887.
Where did the name Lynne originate?
In 1863 assistant Ogden post master, Walter Thompson, named the 2nd Street postal route Lynne after the town in Scotland where he was born. 
What happened to the 1877 Lynne School? How old is the roadway by the school?
In 1889 free schools were established in Ogden. In 1890 Ogden City expanded its boundaries to annex the Lynne Precinct, and the Lynne School trustees had to turn their school over to the superintendent of Ogden City schools.
Ogden’s free school law of 1889 increased the school enrollment dramatically. The old brick Lynne School was not adequate for the large flux of new students, so the Ogden school board abandoned it. Judge Thomas D. Dee sold the brick Lynne School to Victor Reno Senior for $500, and Mr. Reno remodeled it into a private residence in 1892. 
The dirt lane next to the Reno house was originally the 1854 lane into the Stone-Reno farm. In 2001 the farm was sold for a subdivision. The new paved road followed the course of the original 1854 lane and was named Lynne School Lane to honor the historic location of three schools.
c. 1892 After selling the old brick Lynne School, the Ogden School board built the fifth school of the area named Five Points School on the NW corner of Adams and 3rd Street in the early 1890s. About forty years later the Five Points School was updated and enlarged and renamed the Lincoln School.
1950s In the 1950s the Lincoln School was replaced with a new school at about 635 Grant Ave. named Lynne Elementary School. This was the sixth school of the area and the third school named Lynne.
2009 In 2009 Lynne Elementary was replaced by Heritage Elementary School, the seventh school of the area located at 373 S. 150 W.; this location is two blocks south of the first log Bingham School built 156 years earlier.
 Andrew Jensen, History of the Lynne Ward, manuscript, 1893, Church Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah, Microfilm #LR 6405 2.
[1a] Mary Remembers, p. 88; Journal of Nancy Jane Gates; Andrew Jensen, History of the Lynne Ward, p. 4,5.
 William Terry, Yesteryear In Lynne; Andrew Jensen, History of the Lynne Ward, 1893, p. 2,4,8.
 Andrew Jensen, History of the Lynne Ward, p.5.
 Ibid, p.11.
 Editor Milton R. Hunter, Beneath Ben Lomond’s Peak, The Weber County Chapter of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, copyright 1944, p. 534.