386 West 2nd Street- Two Stones: father William Stone: 1866 log cabin; son James Stone: 1875 adobe house.
Posted by weberhistory on April 29, 2010
HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
This is a two-part house: William Stone came from England in 1853 and built this one-room log cabin for his wife and two unmarried teen aged sons in 1866 on the NW corner of 2nd Street (Bingham’s Lane) and 1200 West (Perry’s Lane). The cabin was fifteen feet square. Log cabins were the popular type of homes on 2nd Street and in the Utah Territory during the first twenty plus years of settlement from 1847 to 1870. Sometimes log cabins were considered impermanent “starter homes”, but fortunately, this one is a permanent preserved treasure. The logs came from Monte Cristo.
William’s son James bought the one and a half story adobe house at 386 West 2nd Street in 1877 (it was built by George Gates a few years prior). An adobe single-cell house was the first step up from a log cabin, and an adobe mill had opened on 2nd Street in about 1870 making “dobies” from the mud in the “Second Street Swamps”. The front of the adobe house is symmetrically designed with one door between two windows; the single room on the ground level is 15 by 13 feet interior; the exterior walls are presently one-and-a –half feet wide. This single-cell (one room) house type is an English form found in all sections of the United States. The upper half story was just for sleeping and was accessed by a stairway on the interior west wall or outside through the east window with a ladder. There was also a cellar accessed through a trap door in the floor. This small house type was a substantial and fashionable residential form that remained popular in Utah well into the 1890s.
William died in 1868. In about 1879 James “teamed up” the log cabin, pulling it on skids about one mile east to his adobe home. He abutted the log cabin to the adobe house and built a brick lean-to on the rear, making the house four rooms on the ground level. There was also a loft for sleeping in the cabin.
In about 1950 Elmer Brown remodeled the house; he closed in the front cabin door, put shutters on the windows and covered the outer walls of the cabin and adobe house with white stucco. The roof line stilled showed the separation of the cabin and the adobe house. See c. 1955 photo of the house above. In the 1990s the stucco house was covered with siding and a new roof with a continuous line was installed. See 2010 photo of the house above.
HISTORY OF WILLIAM STONE
William (1798-1868) and Mary Cruse (1811-1886), converted to the gospel teachings of Mormon missionaries in Berkshire England. William was 56 and his wife was 44 when they arrived in Bingham’s Fort in November1854. They had seven children with them. In England they had lived in a comfortable home with servants, and now the family built and lived in a log house on the American Utah frontier.
William was a talented farmer, having worked as a landscape gardener for nobility in England. He taught his sons the art of husbandry; he and his sons were known for the beauty and order of their farms, orchards and flower gardens. Mary liked to say that William could raise mushrooms the size of tea saucers. Mary Cruse learned the art of millinery in England, and in the Bingham’s Fort District she took straw from the fields, split it and braided or wove it into hats for both men and women. Even though living in the survival mode of the pioneers, she took pride in dressing her children as neatly as possible.
They built their first log house in about 1856 on the lane north of the Bingham school house. This cabin had a cellar, and in 2002 the cellar was excavated and enlarged into the water retention area on Lynne School Lane. The Aspen Acres subdivision was the William Stone Farm in 1855-1866. Giving that cabin and farm to their oldest son, Edward, in 1866, they moved to the NW corner of Bingham’s Lane and Perry’s Lane (today’s NW corner of 2nd Street and 1200 West) and built the cabin pictured below. William died in 1868.
HISTORY OF JAMES STONE & MARY MELLING
James Stone was the youngest child of William and Mary Stone born in 1853 in Council Bluffs, Iowa; he was one and a half years old when they arrived in Bingham’s Fort. He was raised in two different log cabins built by his father and older brothers, built his own cabin at age 19 and then purchased this modern single cell adobe house in 1877 at age 24.
As a young man James was high spirited, an able fighter and fond of horses when he eloped with Mary Melling on May Day in 1871. He was 18 and she was almost 16. Their marriage proved to be a very happy one. However to their dismay, James was excommunicated from the Mormon Church for eloping against the wishes of Mary’s parents.
For the first year of their marriage they lived with James’ widowed mother in the cabin pictured above, then located on 2nd and 1200 West. Within a year James bought some farmland from Sam Gates on the north side of 2nd Street and built a cabin by a pond. This west portion of the Gates Farm was cut by the new railroad track bringing unwanted tramps into the area; perhaps this is why Sam Gates sold this section to James Stone. However it proved to be a wonderful place to live, and in time the pond came to be known as Stone’s Pond.
In 1870 the Sam Gates’ Adobe Mill opened at today’s intersection of 2nd Street and Century Drive. In 1875 and 1876 Sam’s son, George Gates, built several single room adobe houses on Bingham’s Lane (2nd Street) and sold the one pictured below to his friends, James and Mary Melling Stone. 
James and Mary left their cabin and moved in the new adobe house in 1877. Two years later they “teamed up” the cabin of James’ widowed mother from 2nd and 1200 West and attached it to their adobe house at today’s address of 386 West 2nd. To “team up” the cabin means it was placed on a wooden skid and pulled by a team of horses.
Mary Cruse Stone was 68 years old when her cabin was teamed up and joined to her son’s house on 2nd Street. She enjoyed living with James and his family, telling her grandchildren stories about her childhood in England. Her father was a Squire, and she lived in a house with 26 rooms that had been in the Cruse family for many years, but she never regretted joining the Mormon Church and leaving the comforts of England behind. In England she had a private tutor and maids to do the domestic work. She arrived in America at age 38, and her life as a pioneer in Utah Territory was a sharp contrast to a comfortable life in England. At age 38 she learned to do laundry on a wash board, to cook over an open fire or a wood burning stove, to carry water from a well, keep house and to be resourceful in finding unusual ways to meet her needs. Even when poor she continued to take pride in dressing her children clean and neat as she did in England. She would run her finger around the dishpan collecting the grease that adhered to its side, put the grease on a piece of paper or cloth and use it to shine shoes. Grease was very scarce, and shoe blacking was not affordable. 
James and Mary had five children. James was a farmer and also worked part time for David Moore as a horse-back mail carrier to Huntsville. The mail weighed about forty pounds and was carried in saddlebags on each side of the saddle. There were two or three trips a week, and each trip paid $3. As David M. Moore said, “Those dollars were as large as cartwheels.”
With hard work over many years James acquired a lot of land, drove fine horses and owned nice carriages such as a “white-top rig” that was very comfortable for the family to ride in. He also had a small carriage with a leather top.[7a] In 1884, having a premonition of his death, James made sure the abstract and title to their home and land was legally in place for his wife’s benefit. He bought her a new stove and sewing machine saying that it might be the last one that he would ever buy for her. In November 1884 James was injured in a run away horse and wagon accident; he died on December 24, 1884 and was buried on Christmas Day.
Mary Melling Stone retained the farm with the aid of the Stone brothers, Ed and Moroni, and her children. At times it was necessary for her to go into the fields and hold the plow and do other work only suited for a man. She prayed continuously to God to bless her crops. She recorded that no one knew how hard it was for her, but that God did bless her and open up her way. Her tithing record for 1885 is still recorded on the wall of the Bishop’s tithing house located at 196 2nd Street. She raised her children and also took in three other motherless children who needed a home, permanently adopting one. The family became active members of the Lynne Ward.
Mary’s mother, Ellen Knowles Melling Salisbury, was also a widow and moved in with Mary in 1885. Mary Cruse Stone died in 1886. Ellen Salisbury was musical and many years earlier, when living in England, she read and loved the poem, “Oh Say What Is Truth” that was published in the Millenial Star and written by English poet John Jaques. At that time she composed music to the words of the poem. Now, about forty years later, this poem with her music was about to be published. John Jaques came to Mary’s house many times in the 1880s so that he and Ellen could polish together her music and his poem to their satisfaction. They played the song over and over on a pump organ in the adobe parlor before its publication in the Latter-day Saints Psalmody in 1889.
Mary and her mother Ellen were members of the first Relief Society in the area that included the settlements of Lynne, Slaterville and Marriott.
In 1889 at age 34 Mary Melling Stone was married in polygamy to Walter Crane. Mary remained in her own home and continued to run Stone farm. A number of men on 2nd Street who practiced plural marriage were jailed in the 1880s and the early 1890s for what was termed in the newspaper as “UC” (unlawful cohabitation). Jail terms were usually six months and were accompanied by a fine from $100 to $300. Among those jailed were Bishop Daniel Thomas and Levi Taylor who married one of Sam Gates daughters. Walter Crane went into hiding “on the underground” in Tooele but when that proved unsatisfactory he went on a church mission.
Mary Melling Stone Crane died in 1940 at the age of 84. Two of her sons built houses on 2nd Street:
 Interview Chauncey Stone by Macel Montgomery, March 27, 1977, p. 2; Thomas Carter and Peter Goss, Utah’s Historic Architecture, 1847-1940, 1998, Utah State Historical Society, p.11; Milton R. Hunter, editor, Beneath Ben Lomond’s Peaks, 1944, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, p. 362; notes of Alice Grace Stone, daughter of Moroni Stone, notes in possession of Emma Rogers.
 Interview Chauncey Stone, 1977, p. 2.
 Sarah Stone Crowther, Mary Cruse Stone, manuscript, p. 1, 7; 1860 U.S. Federal Census.
 Sarah Stone Crowther, Biography of James Hyrum Stone, manuscript, p. 4.
 Milton R. Hunter, editor, Beneath Ben Lomond’s Peaks, 1944, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, p. 362.
 Dorothy Amelda Sherner and Laura Beatrice Sherner Welker, Mary Elizabeth- Her Stories, 1933, manuscript, p. 36; Crowther, Mary Cruse Stone, p.6.
 Milton R. Hunter, editor, Beneath Ben Lomond’s Peak’s, p.262,263.
[7a] Sarah E. Crowther, Biography of Mary Ellen Melling Stone, handwritten manuscript, c. 1935, p. 82,83.
 Autobiography of Mary Ellen Melling Stone Crane, 1922, manuscript, p. 10; Autobiography of Mary Ellen Melling Stone, 1915, manuscript, p.3.
 Autobiography of Mary Ellen Melling Stone Crane, p.1; oral interview Chauncey Stone to Anna Stone Keogh.
 Richard C. Roberts and Richard W. Sadler, A History of Weber County, 1997, Utah State Historical Society, p. 175, 176.
Photo identification, standing: Chauncey Stone, Charl Parsons, Mary M. Stone peeking over shoulder, John Stone, his wife Jesse Mills Stone holding baby Wilford, Peter Stone, Ellen K. Melling Salisbury, Sarah Stone Brown, Mary Salisbury Parsons. Sitting: Carl Stone, George Parsons, Anne Parsons, Darhl Brown, Violet Brown, Ruby Parsons; photograph c. 1900 by Arthur Parsons.